[78-L] Help me understand the logic...

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 17 17:20:48 PST 2011

Ebay makes no sense.  I bid on something last week, and
came to the Confirm Bid screen and it said "Click CONFIRM
to Place Your Bid."  The only problem was, the CONFIRM
button was missing.  I logged out and back in, re-entered
my bid, changed the amount, etc., but the CONFIRM button
never appeared.  I called and complained, but I doubt
they'll get back to me.  They don't care.  They don't have
to.  It's working fine now, but that evening they were
having problems and they acted like they had no idea what
had happened.

I've supported three-tier (web server, app server, database
sever) web sites for six years now.  I know how these things
work, and I know the modes of failure.  They screwed up
a deployment, and the cookie they game me kept me locked to
the screwed up server.  But they're never admit it.