[78-L] Philco transcriptions question

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Jan 17 09:00:24 PST 2011

Anyone know with reasonable accuracy when Philco put out 16-inch 33RPM discs of
the Philco Symphony Orchestra? Produced by Judson Radio Program Corp., pressed
by Columbia. Something in the announcer's continuity suggested 1928 but is 1930
more likely? The announcer is Ted Husing, according to my notes on these tape
transfers. Well versed in classical music, he introduces a piece by "Jocks"
Offenbach. Sportscasters make great classical hosts, don't they?

The programs were in 9 minute segments and I have numbers 964, 966 and 970.
Another trio turns up here (and this place wants my credit card before they'll
give me a free trial to find out what they sold for, so nuts to them).
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/vintage-transcription-phonograph-100524457