[78-L] Buster Bailey [was Pre-bop [was Five Faves]]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 17 02:16:03 PST 2011

yves francois wrote:
Julian -
     I am playing the record now, the LP I have is Felsted stereo SJA
2003- listening to Bear Wallow now, nice record,there is a bad edit from
the end of Bailey's solo to the ensemble IMHO, the fade is about 12 bars
later - the fade itself is not too bad actually, but is the splice on
the mono LP I wonder, let me know if you need a mp3 ...
While we are on this LP - the second track is almost Cushion Foot Stomp
(Harton Avenue and Gayoso Street) ... a very nice LP, just wish Hilton,
Vic and Herman were on the whole LP, Autrey sounds so much better here
than on the Fats Waller 78's, but I am going to get into trouble for
saying that I guess ... but then this IS one of my favourite records
a happy new year to you
Yves
================
Yves,
What I would like to get again is the original mono version--don't know
why I got rid of it. Perhaps I was fixated on stereo-izing my collection
at the time? Much as I like the LP, I've never been entirely happy about
Jimmy Crawford's drummer--not forceful enough for my liking. Same as on
the Henderson Reunion on Jazztone, which also included Bailey &
Jefferson. Other things about the Jazztone was there was too much
jamming and not enough big band stuff but the arrangements that were
played weren't from my favourite Henderson period--too close to the
burgeoning Benny Goodman sound. Now, if they'd tackled "My Sweet Tooth
Says 'I Wanna' But My Wisdom Tooth Says 'No'"!

No don't apologise about Waller's men playing better away from the man
himself--I feel the same. If only Waller had utilised the talents that
were on the Red Allen Vocalions...

      Julian Vein