[78-L] fwd: The CD is dead

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Mon Jan 17 02:09:52 PST 2011

Steven C. Barr wrote:
> Berliner was born/raised in Alcase-Lorraine; an area which was constantly
> being fought over by France and Germany for MANY decades! As a
> result he was very likely to have been fluent in both Gernan and French
> He may well have been registered as "Emil" if he was born while he
> lived under German rule; however, once France took over control
> (and especoally after moving to Montreal!) he would gave becone "EmilE!"

-----
I think you've said this, before, Steven, but it simply isn't true.
Emile Berliner was born and raised in Hanover in northern Germany. He
went to school in Wolfenbuettel, not far from Hanover. Together with his
brother Joseph he emigrated to the US. Joseph soon went back to Germany
to establish a telephone company in their home town, Hanover. That's why
Emile, upon his temporary return to Europe 1889, chose to operate from
Hanover when planning for the launch of his first gramophone.
It's all easily googable.
Kristjan