[78-L] Exciting times at the record store

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jan 15 18:49:36 PST 2011

From: "David Lennick" <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> This was where the swells bought their records in Toronto in 1945. From a
> Royal
> Alexandra theatre program.
> http://keithwright.ca//RoyalAlex/promenade001.jpg

Nope...WAY too late...! What I am trying to establish is (as close as
possible)
WHEN record "stores" changed from franchised dealers of specific labels
into places that sold ALL labels...?! IIRC I have digital images of ads that
offered virtually ALL labels dating from c.1936-7...!

I know there was a famous court battle here in Ontario, Canada...the
store was a franchised Victor dealer, but was also selling "Two Black
Crows" Columbia discs. Victor tried to revoke their franchise on those
grounds; however, the courts held they couldn't...!

Steven C. Barr