[78-L] Joe "Fingers" Carr (was RE: Margaret Whiting RIP)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Jan 14 10:47:12 PST 2011

Didn't know until I read the obit that Whiting was once married to Lou Busch (aka Joe "Fingers" Carr).

BTW, Busch recorded a sleeper that I really love. It's a second effort at a place name song written by Bobby Troup after the success of "Route 66" called "Ventura Boulevard Boogie." Released in 1951 on Capitol 1733 under the name of Carr with vocals are by the obscure Ewing Sisters. Growing up in the San Fernando Valley, I was very familiar with all of the cities mentioned in the song:

In the San Fernando Valley,
There's a pub on a famous thoroughfare
Where a man called Dan, the Boogie Beat Man
Entertains the people there
It goes from Sherman Oaks to Canoga Park
They begin to gather 'round when it starts gettin' dark to hear

(chorus)
The Ventura Boulevard Boogie
The Ventura Boulevard Boogie
Customers tap their feet to the beat
They love to listen to the Ventura Boulevard Boogie
The Ventura Boulevard Boogie

'Bout a mile from old Encino
Drivin' west you are sure to see the sight
Of the place where Dan, the Boogie Beat Man
Starts around a quarter past nine
They come from Studio City, Van Nuys, Tarzana
Just to hear Dan, playin' his pianna to

(chorus)

When you're on your next vacation
Don't forget you gotta make a date
You gotta see old Dan, the Boogie Beat Man
Play up on the 88
Join the people from Reseda and North Hollywood
Who clap their hands together because it feels so good to hear

(chorus - fades)

If anyone wants to hear the recording, let me know privately and I'll send you an MP3. Which brings up a point I'd like to bring up with Ron Fial. Is there a way we can share MP3s with other members on the list? Maybe a common site can be rigged up so we can upload some of our favorite 78s.

Cary Ginell