[78-L] Pre-bop [was Five Faves]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 05:53:02 PST 2011

Milan P Milovanovic wrote:
> To my ears, first bop solo played Hilton Jefferson or Glyn Paque (King
> Oliver's Band) Dec. 30, 1929.
>
> First rate alto solo, ahead of its time for about ten years.
=================
It's good though it does have some flat passages. Not as good as Toots
Mondello's alto on Mal Hallet's "Wang Wang Blues" (Edison, unissued on
78), issued on Document DOCD-1103, Jazz Oracle BDW-8052 and Swingtime
2004 CDs. The solo has some "craggy" moments which look forward to Pete
Brown, Earl Warren, Lem Davis and, possibly Jackie McLean.

Other "modernist" performances include:

Adrian Schubert's "She'll Be Coming Round The Mountain", with loads of
double-timing.

The Westerners' "Buckaroo Stomp" (1934) where Curt Massey, as well as
playing fine fiddle, plays some modern trumpet that looks forward to
Charlie Shavers (in his "Frankie Newton" period).

Bert Shefter-Robert McBride-Fern Sherman on Liberty Music Shop (a.o.)
playing "China Boy" and "Sweet Sue", performing solos using long lines
like the boppers.

      Julian Vein