[78-L] Five Faves

Erwin Kluwer ekluwer at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 04:47:59 PST 2011

Elvis version is light years away
from Crudup's version.

Of course Elvis  was not the first white boy playing with black music...

But in my humble opinion is that the Sun recordings are singular. Even
compared with Bill Haley etc Elvis and companion  produced a sound which was
a complete reworking of American music...

 Not unlike the Bluegrass sound of Bill in 1956... There was a reason why
Bill was intrigued by
Presley's  Version of Blue Moon of Kentucky... !!

Elvis intro of Blue Moon of Kentucky is a piece of genius... Nobody has
 opened a song like that before(or after). The impact of sound of Baby let's
Play House was and remains unique...

The grotesque hicups, the spare simplicity.. The power of sound....The
hypnotic movement.. It was punk before it existed.

Compare Baby Lets Play hous, Mystery Train, That's All Right, Milcow Blues
Boogie, Blue Moon of Kentucky with the original version....!!!

These are no covers.. but new creations. The songs are basically dismantled
and  deeply reworked from American subconsciousness ...

(Maybe it needs a European no fully appreciate... I can tell you that
here these recording are held to the highest esteem and acknowledged as one
of the a key moments in Amercan Popular music by the most knowledgeable
music people  around..)

Just my cup of tea!

Erwin