[78-L] Your 10 best records!!

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 12 14:06:36 PST 2011

Here's my list of the coolest in my stash

1) Columbia RT 4500 (Turkey)
Cliff Richard and the Drifters - Move It b/w Martinas and his Music -
Cha Cha Momma Brown
What a coupling! One was a hit and one was miss

2) Cadence 1422 (USA) - Bill Hayes
Die Ballade von Davy Crockett b/w Leb' Wohl, Mein Heimat
Part of  a series on Cadence (14xx) that had only 3 releases over as
many years. Possibly for export only

3) Capitol JCL 136 (South Africa) - The Piltdown Men
Piltdown Rides Again b/w Pubbles in the Tar
1960s goodie and definitely cool!

4) His Masters Voice SAB.375 (South Africa) - The Outlaws
Ambush b/w Indian Brave
A Joe Meek production. 1960s release. Group later featured Ritchie Blackmore

5) Philips PS.160 (South Africa) - The Allisons
Are You Sure b/w There's One Thing More
1960 release that came in a #2 in the Eurovision Song Contest. I got
an email from John Allison who was completely unaware that his record
was available anywhere on 78!
Pye PYE-214 (Philippines) - The Eagles
Exodus - Main Theme b/w March of the Eagles

6) RCA Victor 20-8090 (Philippines) - Pat Hervey
Mister Heartache b/w First Thing Tomorrow
1962 release - Canadian girl singer who went to #14 in the CHUM chart
with the 45

7) Ridge TA 369 (South Africa) - Paul Revere and the Raiders
Like Long Hair b/w Sharon
1960s release -- Yes -- That Paul Reverve and the Raiders!

8) Stateside SS.338 (India)  - Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass
The Mexican Shuffle b/w Numero Cinco
One of A& M boss's first releases - a 1964 surpise on 78

9) Philips PB.789 (UK) - Jonathan and Darlene Edwards
It Might as Well Be Spring b/w It's Magic
It doesn't get much better than this

10) Meteor PR 147 (South Africa) - Michael Cox
Angela Jones b/w Don't Want  to Know
Another Joe Meek production. A #7 hit in the UK taht bought made and
destroyed Meek's Triumph Records

--and for good measure

Entre 103 (USA) - Ferrante & Teicher
Beezwhacks b/w That Ole Black Magic