[78-L] Your 10 best records!!

Philip Carli Philip_Carli at pittsford.monroe.edu
Wed Jan 12 01:11:26 PST 2011

I always marvel at sums paid for some records  -- I'd have a good deal to answer for here at home if I spent that.  The most I've spent, I think, is around $80, and I confessed that to my wife immediately and frantically justified it, which she graciously accepted.

Records I have a great fondness for would be my "best", usually, and some of them are uncommon or fairly rare.  The truly rare ones I tend to sell, give away or donate, unless they really mean something to me, as I'm nervous about having them about and possibly being broken or damaged before others who might relish them more have a chance to enjoy them.  (I tend to be a clumsy oaf, and the only broken record I've ever truly regretted was a wax Amberol of Sousa's Band doing Strauss' "Morgenblaetter" waltzes that I still haven't been able to replace. Dang.)

One or two pleasant things for me-- all unusual, a bit uncommon, or rare

1) All the 1928-29 Goldman Band sides for Edison on Diamond Disc, and two on a Needle-Cut with original sleeve ("The Third Alarm" & "Stars & Stripes Forever"). I count the Goldmans as "one" as they really constitute a set to me.  The last is still my only Edison lateral, but acquiring it began one of my most cherished friendships; and "Third Alarm" is a spectacular recording both vertically and laterally.

2) The _Mireille_ overture (Gounod) by the BBC Wireless Military Band under B.W. O'Donnell playing his own arrangement on English Columbia (1928, I think) -- one of the most subtly performed wind recordings I've ever heard.  Sounds like an 18th cent. chamber work for winds, and not very unlike Gounod's own Petite Symphonie.

3) The _Prince Igor_ overture by the strangely named "Borodine Symphony Orchestra" on 1913-14 HMV -- which is actually the Court Orchestra of St. Petersburg under Hugo Wahrlich, recorded in Russia but only distributed in the UK (and very briefly at that).  Wonderfully colorful playing by about 40-45 players, good recording, and a vanished world...

4) Cesare Sodero's song "Crisantemi" (Chrysanthemums) sung by Claudia Muzio on Edison; beautiful song, affectingly sung (Muzio's a great favorite of mine), and rather touchingly modest in that it's the only composition Sodero ever submitted for recording at Edison, even though he was their musical director (the conductor on this disc in fact) and an accomplished composer.

5) Well, for "rare", Juan Manen doing the last mvt of the Mendelssohn violin concerto on wartime Parlophon with orchestra under Friedrich Kark, complete on 2 sides, rec. in 1916.  Never thought I'd see a copy of that.  Great playing, and surprisingly well-balanced accompaniment (well-led too).

6) "You Don't Like It, Not Much" by Jules Herbuveaux' Palmer House Victorians on Brunswick.  Snappy but smooth, gleeful as all get out, one of my favorite dance band recs, and FINALLY a well recorded Brunswick. It just always lifts my spirits more than any of my other dance band records; don't know why.

7) The very sombre overture to Donizetti's _La Favorite_ by Carlo Sabajno and the La Scala Orch on a late 20s Disco Grammofono issue; great record in every way, but uncommonly dark and brooding, with a wonderful close.

8) the great oboist Bruno Labate doing Godard's "Andante pastorale" with orch under J. Louis von der Mehden on a 1912 U-S Everlasting cylinder. Love the record and love the background of it from Mehden's diary, where he says he and the recording staff "did an oboe test with Mr Labate - very good results. Will record him with orchestra this week." I'm sure it was a hot seller...

9) The Earl Oliver's Jazz Babies versions of "Thanks for the Buggy Ride" and "The Village Blacksmith Owns the Village Now" on Edison that are _half_ the tempo of the same Reser band as Six Jumping Jacks' versions on Brunswick.  Like them all, but the Edison sides lope along with real ease at the slower pace, and Stacks has even more time for characterization.  Great solos too.

These are some of the odder ones that I'd put up towards"best", but there are too many to limit down to a few.  The $80 aberration, incidentally, was for the first disc of the Schumann piano quintet on Edison, but I could justify it to Alice in that I'd got the second disc years ago for $6 and I not only wanted the whole set but I love the first movement in particular; price adjustment makes things seem more reasonable.

Oh hell, laugh or scorn these and me, but I am thinking a bit...feels good.  PC