[78-L] Your 10 best records!!

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Jan 11 21:42:36 PST 2011

We should add that there are really two types of collectors out there: the "music" collectors and the "object" collectors. The music collectors might be satisfied with a second pressing so long as the music sounds good. An "object" collector will take an original, noisier pressing, so long as the label is original. I tend to straddle that line. I'm not much of a Paramount guy because of the poor sound quality and prefer spending less for cleaned up LPs or CDs in order to get the music, however, there's nothing like putting an N- black Columbia on the turntable and giving it a whirl. There's a certain sensory satisfaction about playing particularly well-made records with attractive labels that no reissue, LP, or CD can duplicate. Some labels, like Sun or Chess, nearly always sound better on 78, unless they are jukeboxed so much you could probably play both sides at the same time.

Cary Ginell