[78-L] Margaret Whiting RIP

kil kil at roadrunner.com
Tue Jan 11 17:20:12 PST 2011

From: "Sean Miller"

Taylor Bowie wrote:

>> I guess I play her original version of Moonlight in Vermont as much as I
>> play any vocal record...not too many things in this world are perfect,
>> but
>> that record comes close for me.

The N.Y. Times obit retells this great story:
One often-repeated story took place in the early 1940s, when she was 19.
Mercer had had asked her to sing "Moonlight in Vermont," which he had just
heard and felt was ideal for her voice.

"I've never been to Vermont," she said. "How can I sing a song about a place
I've never been to? What is the significance of pennies in a stream? What
are ski tows?"

"I don't know," Mercer replied. "I'm from Savannah. We'll use our
imagination."

RayK