[78-L] Brian Rust RIP

JOHN WRIGHT vintage at jabw.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 7 02:18:50 PST 2011

Such sad news of the passing of Brian Rust. I met Brian decades ago when I
used to attend record fairs in the London area and bought a few discs from
his stalls, and we corresponded for many years, mainly re amendments to his
discographies, and I had an article or two published in one of his
magazines.

Brian is the reason my interest in early popular music has continued for so
long. In my youth I read Brian's books and Albert McCarthy's, but it was
Brian's record label book that got me collecting 78s as it dealt with both
US and UK labels and the releases of bands on both sides of the Atlantic.

His British band and Jazz discographies lie just inches away from this PC at
all times. The binding on the British volume is in tatters now. Not the best
bound book over 1000 pages. The Jazz 5th Ed was very well bound. Haven't got
my credit card out yet for the new US volumes :o)

Brian has been honoured by ARSC (in 1992) and similar organizations, but
attempts to get recognition as an author and researcher through the British
honours lists never succeeded.

John Wright