[78-L] Glass versus Vinyl

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 6 09:30:14 PST 2011

What do we know about solid vinyl discs used for instantaneous cutting in the
50s (and earlier?)? One radio station in Nova Scotia seems to have used them,
since a couple of Don Messer's recordings issued in an 80s compilation are
taken from them, and I was shown discs like this when I asked a small "record
your voice" outfit in a record store in Toronto in 1958.

The CBC seems to have had to use glass discs before April 1941..maybe because
we were in the war that much earlier?

dl