[78-L] Glass versus Vinyl

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Thu Jan 6 07:35:23 PST 2011

Two things are being intermixed here..glass replaced aluminum when it became
unavailable during the war. Vinyl was used for pressings, and rarely for discs
sold to consumers until it was economically feasible to use it and pickups were
lighter by the mid 40s. I've seen vinyl soft cuts from the fifties and I think
that's what's used today for "dub plates" but can anyone comment on the quality
of the 50s vinyl soft cuts? Noise level? Frequency range? Durability?

dl