[78-L] Lacquer discs recorded at 80 rpm

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 5 11:52:02 PST 2011

On 1/5/2011 2:46 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
> On 1/5/2011 10:05 AM, David Lennick wrote:
>> But playbacks were only heard on set and picked up by microphones as reference
>> audio, not used as part of the final mix. The slate and the click countdown on
>> the disc provided sync points but the final audio was mixed in from film audio, no?
>>
>> Hmm.  dl
>
> But if that playback disc was not being played back in sync at the
> proper speed the film could not be synced to the real sound recording on
> optical film.
>
> Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

I thought that was essentially what I was implying, while noting that the
playback disc in no way was the actual finished audio to be in the finished
film. And I didn't know till Doug's follow-up that 80RPM was specifically tied
to camera speed. As for different speeds for playbacks and discs to take home,
this is what I was told years ago by a colleague who spent several months
working with MGM archivists, one former producer and one former music director.

dl