[78-L] Lacquer discs recorded at 80 rpm

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 5 07:38:45 PST 2011

I may have one lacquer playback (cracked glass disc) but generally these were
pressed, so there'd be multiple copies available for use on set. They contain
the song with vocal as the performer was to lip sync or dance to it. I've seen
and transferred many, can't recall currently owning any. The star would record
the song prior to filming, and a rough mix of the audio tracks (which were
often done from a number of "angles", which is how we've been able to derive
stereo from the original elements) was transferred to disc, at 78RPM for the
star to take home and practice with and at 80 for the playback.

dl