[78-L] Lacquer discs recorded at 80 rpm

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jan 4 17:52:05 PST 2011

I believe 80 was used for film playbacks because (a) 80 was easy to check for
speed (20 revs in 15 seconds) and (b) so that if the discs accidentally got
into civilian hands, they'd supposedly sound "wrong". Not that many people can
hear the difference since most New York Deccas play better at 80 or even
slightly higher.

dl