[78-L] interesting pasteover label

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jan 3 09:34:52 PST 2011

On 1/3/2011 11:36 AM, Bill McClung wrote:
> Michael,
>
> Is there red at the spindle hole?  The pasted label seems to be slightly
> larger than the original label with just a little red showing at the hole
> where it is not pasted down.
>
> Bill

Yes, the tail of the big red question-mark comes down to the left side
of the spindle hole, so a little red might peek through.  But there were
many other red labels, so I don't quite know why you might have thought
it was Columbia.    The pressing is one of those wafer thin Victor vinyl
promo pressings which are unmistakably RCA, not at all like a Columbia.
Same with the stamped matrix numbers which are so obviously Victor,
E4VB 3140. It is interesting that on the question mark label they do not
print the record number or the matrix number or the RCA and Nipper logos
-- ALL of which are on the paste-over label!
But they have the trademark warning at the bottom of the question-mark
label, and this serves as the only indication that it is an RCA Victor
record if the paste-over labels are not on it.

I just remembered that I also have a regular stock copy of the record.
It is not anywhere near as interesting as this promo -- dull-finish
black with pale silver print, but pressed on that amazingly quiet
shellac Victor was using at the end of 78s with the smooth edge which
curved down to a point.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com