[78-L] ARTO Label Question

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Jan 2 23:50:00 PST 2011

On 1/2/2011 10:33 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Back to the question of how Arto could use something so similar to Victor's
> Batwing design without being nailed. I've seen this design on other labels,
> including half the fake labels used when records are shown in films, like
> Marilyn Monroe's request record in "Niagara". Maybe the design was never
> copyrighted by Victor?
>
> dl

There are a number of other record labels with Batwing designs such as
Everybodys and  Cleartone, and The Electric -- the latter is right there
in color on the cover of Sutton & Nauck's label book.  Victor probably
didn't take out a design patent on it.  But Victor continued to use it
on many label designs for custom pressings throughout the 78 era and
some of these strange labels seen in movies such as Niagara might
sometimes be a real Victor pressing of some sort.  There are numerous
examples in the RCA Circle Book of label designs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com