[78-L] ARTO Label Question

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jan 2 19:23:40 PST 2011

From: "Ate van Delden" <ate.vandelden at worldonline.nl>
> Arto was an independent manufacturer of gramophone records. Many of their
> issues also came out on the Bell label. BTW I have seen many Arto ads, but
> only a few actual records, while the Bells are quite common but I never
> saw
> an ad!
> The California Ramblers with Adrtian Rollini made several records for Arto
> /
> Bell, but only one for Victor (which remained unissued).

Belll was originally pressed by Arto; the P-* numbers were based on Arto's
numbering. This was (and remained) a client label...pressed for and sold by
the W. T. Grant firm (a dime-store chain based on the US west coast!.
That chain was more successful than was Arto; around 1923, Bell
continued (along with Globe!) after Arto's demise. After a few months,
Bell was pressed (continuing the catalog number sequence) by first Emerson
and then Gennett.

Steven C. Barr