[78-L] Gene Autry Christmas records

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Jan 1 22:00:24 PST 2011

Every copy I had of the Gene Autry records was on the red microphone label,
although I've seen pictures of the yellow labels.

Here is a query I sent to the list about a year ago at this time which was never
really answered, maybe now someone knows the answer:

A couple of years ago I bought a CD which claimed to be the "Complete Columbia
Christmas Recordings", by Gene Autry.  On this CD, "Frosty the Snowman" always
bothered me - it just didn't sound right.  When you hear a song like this
umpteen times every Christmas throughout your childhood every nuance - the
rhythm of the words, the balance between the piccolo and the clarinet in the
opening, etc. - become etched in your brain.  All of the other selections on
this CD with which I was familiar sounded the same as I'd always heard them,
(except I find "Here Comes Santa Claus" a bit duller than on the 78).  I just
now listened to "Frosty" on the CD and the 78 side-by-side to see if there was
something which described the difference.  They're obviously from the same
recording session on June 12, 1950, the same musicians, arrangement and pickup
but I finally found something which ensures that these are two different
recordings: on the 78 he sings "Weren't they surprised when before their
eyes.....", and on the CD he sings "Were they surprised, before their
eyes.....".  Also as I mentioned, in the opening the balance between the piccolo
and the clarinet is different but this might be accomplished just by varying the
equalization.  In the opening line, the rhythm of the words is subtly different
but there's no way to describe that in an e-mail.

Does anyone know if this version was ever released on 78 or did something happen
to the master of the original version or did the crew who compiled the CD just
grab the wrong tape off the shelf?

db