[78-L] Christmas B-sides

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Sat Jan 1 21:03:45 PST 2011

A-403, per the Decca Books, is "Bing Crosby & The Andrews Sisters--Merry
Christmas", and then it says "see A-550". Same title, but 5 discs in A403 and 4
in A550 (23281 and 23777/79). Disc numbers not shown for A403, which is odd,
since virtually all the other album numbers in the cross index show disc
numbers or pages where the recording dates can be found. 23778 would not have
been in A403 since that number hadn't been reached yet, Personality numbers
still being around 23444. So A403 packaged original numbers such as 18429 and
other Bing and Andrews Sisters discs, and then A550 renumbered them in the
Personality series, dropped one disc and used the remake of White Christmas.
Rust also lists 23778 as having the 1942 recording, so maybe it's possible that
early issues of the album did indeed use it.

dl