[78-L] Christmas B-sides

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Sat Jan 1 09:00:27 PST 2011

The problem with Columbia Christmas records, (particularly the Gene Autry ones),
is that A and B sides aren't designated.  My father always stacked all of his
records in the order they came out of the album; always playing both sides of
every record.  I've never thought of "When Santa Claus gets your Letter" as any
less of a hit than "Frosty", and always liked "An Old-Fashioned Tree" slightly
more than "Here Comes Santa Claus".  The other Gene Autry record we had was
"Three Little Dwarfs" and "Thirty-two feet and eight Little Tails";  I have no
idea which was supposed to be the "A" side.  Of course, a few years after the
fact, you can generally tell which side is supposed to be the hit because it is
picked up and recorded by other artists.

B.T.W. Bing's "White Christmas" didn't always have "Let's Start the New Year
Right" as a B side, sometimes it had "God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen" - one of the
only recordings of this carol I know of where the position of the comma in the
title is clearly sung.

db

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are a few of them.......