[78-L] Am I Seeing Things???

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com
Sat Jan 1 07:27:35 PST 2011

Don,
AFAIK Edison actually started his sound experiments with "moving paper",
just like in his telegraph.
And, as for Berliner, the text never mentions lateral recording. It says
Berliner's stylus "cut a spiral groove", compared to the phonograph
needle that "moved up and down in vertical cut recording format".
The guy misses that both cuts are spirals, although the lateral cut is
modulated sideways. But he's probably aware of the difference between
the hill-and-dale cut and the lateral.
Kristjan