[78-L] Me and "Me and Orson Welles"

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Fri Dec 31 17:05:48 PST 2010

I saw Welles live once - it was a taping of The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson in 1975 at the NBC studios, the only time I ever saw the show in person. Welles was superb, on top of his game. He recited Shakespeare from memory and then dared Johnny to do it as well. Carson knew the same lines from the same play, but even though he recited them straight, he got laughs after every line. He lamented to Welles that this was the curse of being a comedian. Even serious work is taken as being funny. It was really a fascinating interview. Then that doofus Sally Kellerman came on and acted like an idiot, spoiling the whole show.

Cary Ginell