[78-L] To clean or not to clean

Milan P Milovanovic milanpmilovanovic4 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 08:34:34 PST 2010

Hello to all,

Found few unique  with lacquers or lacquers alike coating and flexible core that looks like vinyl or some kind of plastic.

One side was recorded by German broadcast radio around 1942., the other side 1943. by local recording studio (ethnic music).

Those German sides sounds terrific and music from 1943. so and so.

I would like to ask is it better way to preserve such media not to wet clean them? There is only one 2 millimeters little chip missing at the edge on one record (core is exposed here), and pieces of lacquer surface are attached to plastic core, but on some spots I've noticed bursting  from core (spider web or such pattern)probably due to poor handling such media. I'm guessing that during wet cleaning water or other wet part of cleaning agent will penetrate through such porous surface and probably accelerate process of nitrate/acetate flaking? Is it true?

Thank you,

Milan