[78-L] Best way to clean 78s

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Thu Dec 30 16:57:15 PST 2010

On 12/29/2010 1:47, David Lennick wrote:
> And for those, you can probably do without the soap. I used to keep a j-cloth
> in my travel bag when I went on record hunting trips and I'd give the records
> an initial cleaning as soon as I bought them. The grunge is a lot more
> encrusted these days, but in a pinch I'd say that method would still get you a
> record that's clean enough to audition on a non-critical player.

Consider the pollutants on many old records. If they didn't heat with
coal, they heated with oil. More people smoked in those days as well.
Even if a record was put in a cabinet, the records were coated with a
substance that make them magnets of dust, dirt and record grindings.
We used to use a wetting solution made from photoflow, but that is
getting hard to find. I am using dish soap, a very dilute solution and I
don't let the label get wet.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr. #:?)
Technology, thoughtfully, responsibly.