[78-L] Columbia date codes (was: Thornton W. Burgess 78)

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Dec 29 21:11:17 PST 2010

Steven's memory & alphabet are slightly "out-of-date."
In the Columbia date code the "I" is used and thus is K November
(normal codes start with A-L).
The codes started, as far as known, with FZ, printed June 1917 (not '14 !).
Among the very first issues with date code is A-2297 by the ODJB, which
is known to me with early codes FZ, GZ & KZ. Next year the issues showed
"Y" codes, starting with with AY.
Co A-2282 is known without date code, and thus these codes were introduced
between A-2282 and A-2296 (Collins & Harlan, known with code FZ).
Issues with lower cat.nrs but with codes are repressings.
Last issue known with FZ is 2306, and thus at least the catalog nrs in range
A-2296-2306 were printed in June, but released ca. September.
If someone has other issues with code FZ, or knows the range of releases for
Aug & Sep 1917 (from a catalog?), I would like to know.
I am also interested in the various date codes printed on the ODJB record.
Last code known to me is AW (Jan 1920); I have seen no issues of A-2297
without code (i.e. even later label printings).

Han Enderman
===

From: "Jim Whipkey" <suuford at msn.com>
>  I just found a 12 inch 78 recorded by Thornton W. Burgess, while sorting
> through some records. It was in a sleeve which was supposed to be one of
> three records  of Bach's Sonata in E by Wanda Landowska and Yehudi
> Menuhin.  I know of Burgess, but had never run across a recording he made.
> Perhaps someone can fill in the blanks for me. It's Columbia  Graphophone
> A7524. Label says  KZ Educations series (primary story). One side is The
> Joy of the Beautiful Pine,  Thornton W. Burgess , story record with chimes
> and orchestra. The other side is Johnny Chuck finds the Best Thing in the
> World,  Thornton W. Burgess  from "Old Mother West Wind" (Little, Brown
> and Company) story record.  Any info appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>  Jim Whipkey

Columbia A75** was in Columbia's 1914?-194? "Educational" series.
Burgess cut a number of "bird call" records for these series.
These were marketed mainly to schools, rather than to individuals.
"KZ" was a date code put on Columbia records 1914-c.1922;
the "Z" indicates the year (this ran backwards from "Z = 1914)
and the "K" the month (since "I" wasn't used, "K" would be November).
Steven C. Barr <<<