[78-L] Taylor's oyVey buyer issue

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Wed Dec 29 17:02:47 PST 2010

It is upsetting to get a poorly graded record, a broken record, or not receive the record at all.

With some sellers with whom I have had a good track record, I usually can work problems out, but sometimes I live with poor grading if the price isn't high.

Where a seller has been a source of good items and has generally given good customer service, sometimes I, the buyer, will eat my loss, rather than break things off and give negative feedback.  Short of a seller stiffing me royally, which rarely happens, I don't leave negatives.  Sometimes when I am disturbed with a seller's performance, I will then bid on the seller's records less liberally, not that I'm such big time oyVey bidder.

I do like the bargains and sometimes benefit from an unclear or otherwise poor listing, finding good records unrecognized by other collectors.  (I once got a group of 1920s/1930s calypsos including a Manning lightning Brunswick from such a batch.  10 years ago when I was looking at all listed 78s on oyVey - does anybody do this today? - I got 8 Albanian Odeons misdescribed as German records, and there is a story regarding the provenance of these records which I would like to track down further.)  Time for looking being limited, I also miss out on some good records, but if I never get another record, I am pleased with what I already have, although there are probably another 200 great records I would like at least to hear once during my lifetime.  One of the beauties of oyVey is that it enables non-collectors to gather up all sorts of 78s and make them available.  Regarding the uglies of oyVey, I won't get started now./steve