[78-L] Best way to clean 78s (Caution: humor ahead)

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com
Wed Dec 29 10:38:03 PST 2010

I know this has been addressed here ad infinitum but I prefer using a
belt sander
and an industrial pressure washer.
Step 1: Glue the 78s to a piece of 3/4in plywood - you can get easily
get 32 10" records on one 4x8 sheet of plywood;
Step 2: Run the belt sander over the surfaces lightly, just until the
labels disappear;
Step 3: Then hit 'em with the pressure hose to get out any grit left
from the 2nd step.
Et Voiler! Everything's nice and clean!
The bright highs of the tuba and the rich lows of the piccolo will be
instantly apparent. And you won't need a nasty old record player to note
this. They'll all be lying on the ground ready to be swooshed away and
down the naturally reverberant storm drain.
Now hand me your violin, Maestro.
Ah, high fidelity.