[78-L] Dictionary definition^

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Dec 28 20:56:56 PST 2010

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
>> Guilty as charged! However, I can't help but wonder who else out there in
>> Radio-land would be interested in hearing most of my 60,000 +/- 78's?!
>> Keep in mind that the records were issued between 1936 and 1945; this
>> means the original listeners are now between 65 and 100...?!
>> Steven C. Barr
> Steven,  I don't follow your logic here.  Who cares how old the "original
> listeners" are?  The "original listeners" of Mozart and Beethoven are all
> dead,  along with the "original audience" for the plays of Shakespeare.
> If stuff is good,  there will always be some audience for it...I think.

You're speaking of classical records...which I DON'T collect...?! I suspect
that classical 78's are an avenue to important (to their collectors?)
performances
of musical works which have NO "best until" dates...?! I collect (well,
accumulate?!)
"popular" 78's...! The applicable question then becomes "Is a particular
recording
of a standard classical piece 'important' in a musical sense? If so...why?!"

Steven C. Barr