[78-L] Metropolitan Opera broadcasts in the old house

Kevin P. Mostyn lists at mostyn.com
Mon Dec 27 13:17:48 PST 2010

The ones that I have do not mention the White Network.

A few speculations on my part:

1. NBC and others transcribed many and perhaps most of their sponsored
programs, to prove if needed that the commercials were indeed broadcast.
2. Not all transcriptions were saved. Indeed, the saving appears to be
random. Certain NBC produced programs are saved in great depth, such as "The
Magic Key of RCA" and the NBC Symphony.
3. Numerous discs were "borrowed" from the NBC Archive before the donation
to the Museum of Broadcasting. I have heard rumors that not all were
returned. This applies especially to MET Opera discs.
4. Somewhere I have seen a reference of a gift to the MET from the LoC or
NBC of certain broadcasts. I don't know if these were the discs or copies.

--Kevin Mostyn