[78-L] MMII wishes...

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Dec 26 17:26:25 PST 2010

From: "David Breneman" <david_breneman at yahoo.com>
--- On Fri, 12/24/10, Kristjan Saag <saag at telia.com> wrote:
> > I wouldn't mind going back to 1980. I was 29 then...
> > Kristjan
> 1980 was the year I finally decided I couldn't survive on
my wits, and I'd better go to college.  Merry Christmas,
everyone!

Interesting! I went to University (Of Ill's) immediately after completing my
enrollment at McLean-Waynesville Community Consolidated High School...!
I had graduated with  GREAT grades (I was valedictorian...!) but blissfully
unaware of the degree to which my high school was far behind acadenic
reality...?! After two years of (supposedly) gainful employment (DIDN'T
gain much...?!) I had somr serious conversations with folks at "Illinois
State (Normal) University"...and asked them to enrol me in a NON-
advanced program...!

THIS worked VERY well...until LBJ, desperate for draftees to send to
Viet Nam, removed my "2-S" student draft status! Almost immediately
thereafter, I received my "Greetings" letter from the local draft board...!
However at the time my brother was enlisting in the USAF (where he
served 28 years); the receuiter was a regular visitor to our house and
suggested that I enlist in the USAF rather than wait to be drafted and
sent on a (all too often) one-way journey to Viet Nam...?!

The USAF happily signed me up...then trained me on a Siemens +
Halske VHF system which was used as back-up system connecting
US/NATO communications in Europe.

As a result, I spent a VERY happy (but NON-military...?!) three years
in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Germany. in the meantime I had married my
"high school sweerheart"...who joined me in Garmisch in mid-1967. By
March 1970, Margaret had fallen out of love with me...and IN love
with another chap in this small outfit...! As a result, I chose NOT to
extend my USAF service in Germany, I returned to Ill's., and went
through the formality of a divorce (no money involved, since I didn't
have any...!).

I finished my USAF stint...returned to Illinois and found work. I saved
every penny I could, with the intent of doing a "Europe On $5/week"
nomadic adventure!" This was around the same time that gazillions of
young folks figured out that most of Europe hadn't yet outlawed
Cannabis...so I was NOT "in tune" with most of my fellow/gal
European sojourners...?! (I did, however, partake in these substances...
and I DID inhale!) In actual fact, I find the cannabis of the XXI
Jahrhundert to be FAR too strong; it tends to produce a psychedelic
"trip" while I can recall sitting down, Siamese "Qat" in my lap, and
merely getting "happy" (cat and I both!).

In any case, my second divorce was not NEARLY as "happy!"
Thanks to a sudden drop in real estate values in Toronto...I didn't
have to pay a lot for my wife's share of 211 Pape; however, I
DID have to take out a second mortgage to do so...and interest
rates were in the 20% range...!

Since I am unlikely to ever again marry (no market for us old
f...ogies?!) all I have to worry about is Ecru (the ecru cat)
suing me for inadequate support...?!

Steven C. Barr