[78-L] Jack Towers, truncating the high frequencies

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sun Dec 26 10:32:24 PST 2010

On 12/26/2010 1:08 PM, Steve Shapiro wrote:
> In recent years Jack had a high-frequency hearing loss.
>
> When I would bring 78s to Jack to transfer, he was ever ready to cut out the frequencies above a certain point, declaring that there was nothing recorded up there.  Concerned about the possible loss of overtones, I would ask Jack to leave this area in anyway, as I saw no harm by doing so and did not want to risk the loss of a component of sound.

Very surprising and disappointing.  A transfer engineer is supposed to
transfer what is there.  Modification is done only in restoration.  An
engineer is supposed to know the quality of his hearing and not
compensate for it by modifying the recording.  Sometimes I will bring up
highs in LISTENING to compensate for high frequency loss in my hearing,
but not in a restoration.  Too bad he would reduce the highs instead.
His experience should have told him that there would be sound up there
that others can hear.
> To this day, I miss some of the highs I am accustomed to when I listen to the Bear Family "West Indian Rhythm" calypso set, which 78s are unlikely to be remastered in my lifetime, if not ever./steve
I got a copy of this set a few months ago but have not yet had a chance
to sample it.  It would be disappointing if the highs were cut rather
than rolled off.  One of the benefits of digital is being able to bring
up highs without also bringing up surface noise from the reissue you are
playing, such as an LP.  It's good to know I'm not crazy if I try to
restore highs to Jack's transfers.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com