[78-L] record sleeves - carter family - anyone have link - Lionel Belasco

Steve Shapiro steveshapiro1 at juno.com
Sun Dec 26 09:35:22 PST 2010

No, Belasco is not on any record sleeve I know about, but he did hear "I Tore Up Your Picture When You Said Goodbye" and incorporated it into a Venezuelan waltz  which he recorded on English Decca.

My personal story is I had two different copies of  I Tore Up Your Picture on small labels and got rid of them for 25c.  I thought it to be one of the most dreadful songs I had ever heard.  When I first listened to the Belasco Decca, some time not too long afterward, I said to myself "No!  This can't be!"  But it was.  It took me years to find another copy of  I Tore Up Your Picture, which I may yet use someday should I give another seminar on crossover in early Trinidadian recordings./steve