[78-L] Yet another piece on Christmas Music and the Jews

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Dec 25 05:58:04 PST 2010

On 12/24/2010 3:06 PM, Taylor Bowie wrote:
> Kind of an odd article.  I would take issue with the writer's description of
> Sleigh Ride,  Let it Snow, Frosty the Snowman,  and Winter Wonderland as
> "Christmas songs" unless he imagines that any song which mentions frozen
> precipitation must be connected to Christmas.
>
> Taylor

We fought this out here (or was it ARSCList?) last year, and I
thoroughly agree with you.  Jingle Bells is another example mistaken as
a Christmas song.  ome people commented that Sleigh Ride's lyrics
(written several years after the piece was popularized as an
instrumental) mentions a Christmas party.  No, the original lyrics
specifically said Birthday party.  Someone changed the lyrics 15 or so
years later, and some others have followed suit.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com