[78-L] Metropolitan Opera broadcasts in the old house

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Dec 25 05:51:04 PST 2010

On 12/25/2010 3:00 AM, Kevin P. Mostyn wrote:
> Perhaps several Western Electric / Altec 639 series. Very popular radio
> microphone, selectable pattern, used often in symphonic broadcasts of that
> era. I have one or two of them.
>
> http://www.coutant.org/altec639/

This was NBC, and they never used Western Electric mics, ONLY RCA.
Other than Mutual Broadcasting System and Decca Records, which had a
relationship then an ownership with World Broadcasting System, where
have you seen photos of a 639 used for symphonic broadcasts or
recordings?  Even Columbia Records had an RCA 44 in their logo!  I'm not
sure if I've ever seen a 639 in a CBS or NBC photograph, only in MBS.
> The Myto CDs were issued from "n"th generation tapes and are not necessarily
> representative of the actual sound of the broadcasts. Somewhere here I do
> have NBC 16" discs of a 1939 MET broadcast. I should drag them out and find
> out how the broadcasts sounded, at least to the extent we can hear from ETs.
>
> --Kevin Mostyn

Be sure to note on the NBC discs what city is shown as where it was
recorded.  Only New York recordings would have the possibility of full
frequency response although you do get highs to maybe 12K in Chicago
recordings from New York originations.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com