[78-L] All About that Hippo

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 24 14:53:49 PST 2010

Found this in my local paper today!

dl

http://www.durhamregion.com/entertainment/article/167677

Fifty-seven years ago, little Gayla Peevey wanted one

Dec 23, 2010 - 04:30 AM

Andrew Merey

She is largely forgotten now, but when Christmas 1953 rolled around,
10-year-old Gayla Peevey, from Ponca City, Okla., caught the imagination of
record buyers with the seasonal novelty single, I Want A Hippopotamus For
Christmas.

Songwriter John Rox created the lyrics, based on his children's book of the
same name. Rox, who married Alice Pearce (gossipy neighbour in 60's sitcom
Bewitched), died much too soon in 1957. His wife also met an untimely death in
1966.

When Gayla's record became a hit, the Oklahoma City Zoo, which didn't have a
hippopotamus in its roster of animals, saw a good chance to acquire one by
drumming up a 'buy a hippo for Gayla' campaign. The response was so great that
enough money was collected to bring in a baby hippo named Matilda, whose
arrival was heavily covered by local media.

The broad popularity of Hippo followed with the inevitable: if it worked once,
it will work again. And so Columbia, Gayla's employer, had her record more
product along similar lines such as 77 Santas, Three Little Bunnies and Kitty
In A Basket, the latter written by Al Hoffman and Dick Manning, who penned many
hits during the 50s, such as Takes Two To Tango and Fascination.

Not surprising, the young songstress was paired with Jimmy Boyd, who also
achieved high record sales for Columbia with, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
(1952).

Gayla cut a couple of teen-oriented songs in 1957 under the knowing hand of
arranger/producer Ray Conniff. Such flavoured material as That's What I Learned
In School Today showed promise for a move into more mature territory. But,
unfortunately, even though Gayla's strong, commanding voice was apparent,
Columbia abruptly decided not to renew her contract.

Gayla Peevey became Jamie Horton in September 1959, at which time she secured a
pact with Joy Records in New York. Although two moderate hits, My Little Marine
and Robot Man (did especially well in Australia) resulted from this
association, a bit of the spark was lost in the record company transition. Not
for lack of trying, several additional singles failed to yield any more
recording success.

In 1963, Peevey/Horton gave up show business for good. After a stint as a
school teacher, the world of advertising summoned. In turn, this led to
ownership of her own business for 15 years.

When contacted for an interview, Gayla Peevey/Jamie Horton ultimately shied
away from the idea, saying that, "I've been out of the entertainment industry
for a very long time, but it sounds like that's what you specialize in ... us
'oldies'."

Tidbits:

- Matilda the hippo died in 2003.

- Los Angeles disc jockey Dr. Demento, whose radio show is heard coast to
coast, plays Hippo every Christmas.
Andrew Merey is a Whitby resident who's interested in music and movie history.
He has contributed articles to This Week since 2003.