[78-L] Cold Shellac

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Dec 24 09:42:16 PST 2010

On 12/24/2010 12:19 PM, David Lennick wrote:
> Carefully hold it up to the light and you'll be able to see through it. Notice
> I said "carefully". Audiodiscs were exceptionally thin when on glass base and
> the cold could have been the culprit, or even just taking it out of the sleeve
> while handling it like a normal shellac disc.  dl

You didn't mention if the reverse side was blank, only that there was no
writing on the label.  If it is blank, lay it on a flat table blank side
up and put a piece of scotch tape on the crack.  If it is a two-sided
recording side you must quickly support the record with tape on the rim
over the crack and on the ungrooved land at the center on both sides.
Most likely the AudioDIsc has a fibre center under the label.  The glass
does not extend all the way to the center.  It has a 2-inch center hole
filled in by the reddish fibre center and the labels glued ontop of this
to hold the fibre center in place.

Get a junker record and store it in the sleeve with the glass disc and
always handle BOTH of them together.  If you need to flip the record
over, get a second disc and put it on top and turn the SANDWICH of three
discs over.  Never handle even an "unbroken" glass disc alone because
the glass can be cracked under the lacquer and the only thing holding
the disc together is the lacquer.

By the way, glass based discs cannot flex, nor can they warp.

Mike  Biel  mbiel at mbiel.con