[78-L] Filing system (was 1st 78)

N7MW at aol.com N7MW at aol.com
Tue Dec 21 16:16:34 PST 2010

I would hazard that the 'Pile' System is better described as a Sedimentary
System, where the most recently acquired (or at least most recently
accessed)  record is on top.  Perhaps dating of the pile structure can be done in a
 fashion somewhat akin to tree-ring dating as used by Archaeologists in the
SW  USA to date Indian ruins...

Mike in Phoenix (my brother is an Archaeologist...)

In a message dated 12/21/2010 4:28:38 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
dlennick at sympatico.ca writes:

On  12/21/2010 6:22 PM, Michael Biel wrote:
> On 12/21/2010 4:28 PM, Taylor  Bowie wrote:
>> Alas,  I am like the frog in the kettle of water  who didn't realize
that it
>> was gradually coming to a boil until it  was too late.
>>
>> I have no database for my 78s...it's all  in my head.  At this point I
have
>> neither the time nor the  inclination to put one together.
>>
>>  Taylor
>>

> The attendees at the IASA (International  Assoc of Sound Archives)
> conference are mostly cataloger types --  librarians and archivists --
> and years ago I was one of the few  private collectors who attended.  I
> once shocked several  Scandinavian lady librarians when they asked me
> what cataloging system  I used (my collection was larger than some of
> theirs) and I replied  "Now, on which pile did I see that record last?!"
>
> Mike  Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com

That's always been my system as well,  despite occasional disruptions for
things
like moving (or in California,  earthquakes). That was how I turned up
Auntie
Macassar's Chicken Dinner  last week. Isn't there an official name for  it?

78-L  mailing  list
78-L at klickitat.78online.com