[78-L] Filing system (was 1st 78)

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 21 15:14:55 PST 2010

On 12/21/2010 3:47 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> For split sides, usually, I file by whichever side is labeled as the "A" side. If neither is designated, I go for the earlier recording. Then in the database, I'll have them cross-references this way, with the chosen "A" side being the target side.

When I was shelving the NBC Chicago collection at Northwestern
University most of the discs were single-sided.  But when there were two
sided discs which were not of the same program, I would select which
side I would shelve it with and put a yellow sticker on it.  I put a red
sticker on the other side, and make out a file card for the red side and
note what the yellow side was which is where the disc could be found.
If the same title was on both sides, I put yellow stickers on both sides
to show that a decision had been made.

These stickers were how I was easily able to prove a decade later that a
major donation of discs to the Library of Congress contained at least
five thousand discs stolen from this Northwestern collection and that it
was not just coincidence that they were listed in my catalog of the
collection and that my handwriting was on some of the labels.  The discs
are still at LC because Northwestern was embarrassed that the theft
occurred and publicity might affect future donations of anything.  It
certainly has affected MY donations to them

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com