[78-L] First 78 & my filing system

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 21 14:50:18 PST 2010

Robert M. Bratcher Jr. wrote:
> Well my 78's, 45's, LP's & radio station transcription discs are all on shelves
> in my home. Like some of you I've slowed way down in my collecting (or I could
> say accumulating) of more records. Basically I'm running out of room & will need
> to air condition the garage one day for more record storage!! I'd hate to have
> to rent climate controlled storage for some of my records. Anybody doing that?
>
> The collection is separated by speed of course then by type of music.
> Alphabetical by artsist except classical which is alphabetical by composer. And
> yes I have my share of doubles & triples of a record (in the same speed) mainly
> because of upgrading condition but then I usually keep the other copy as a
> backup. Also I've got 45's & 78's of the same singles from the 1950's bought on
> purpose so that I'd have both of them. But then there are quite a few records
> where I have the 78 (or the 45) & I'm trying to track down the other speed!!
> Thats not always easy even with Ebay....
--------------------------
On my database I have a main, 10" section, of artists of which my
intention is not necessarily completion. Then I have various sections of
"special interests", which I would like to complete such as Raymond
Scott and similar groups, Chick Bullock, Scrappy Lambert, Dick
Robertson, Smith Ballew, Lionel Hampton (I have his complete Victors),
Hoosier Hot Shots and Doc Evans. Some artists in the main section are
"flagged" for easy search like various Benny Goodman groups (BG3, BG4,
BG6, BGO). Also some genres like Western Swing and accordion records.

I have a 12" section and ones for EPs, 10" LPs and 12" LPs. Previously
sometimes I had difficulty finding a particular item. At least now I
know I have it even if I can't readily put my hands on it.

      Julian Vein