[78-L] Filing system (was 1st 78)

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Tue Dec 21 12:47:58 PST 2010

Pseudonyms and split-sides can be thorny issues. In my Filemaker database, I enter in pseudonyms in parentheses, thus:

Luther, Frank (aka Billings, Bud)
Luther, Frank (aka Jackson, Happy)
Luther, Frank (aka Wiggins, Pete)

and then file all the records under Luther's name.

For split sides, usually, I file by whichever side is labeled as the "A" side. If neither is designated, I go for the earlier recording. Then in the database, I'll have them cross-references this way, with the chosen "A" side being the target side.

Hampton, Lionel & his Orchestra                                      Stompology       Victor 25601
Quintette of the Hot Club of France (b/w Hampton, Lionel)  Swing Guitars   Victor 25601

The record can be found under "Hampton." I know that when I see the designation "b/w" (backed with) in my database, that is where the record is located.

Another thorny issue resulted in my separating pre-war from post-war country, jazz, and blues/R&B records. I have two sections for each, which, of course, sometimes means that there will be two Benny Goodman sections, two Bob Wills sections, two Big Bill Broonzy sections, etc. Since the stylistic quality of pre-war and post-war records is usually quite distinct, I find it easier to browse through an area that has a definite commonality music-wise. It got to be strange for me to go through the Johnsons in jazz and find so many different styles (Pete, James P., Bunk, J.J., Everett, Lonnie, etc.)

Cary Ginell