[78-L] Belafonte/Nat Cole

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Dec 21 11:31:46 PST 2010

On 12/21/2010 12:59 PM, Cary Ginell wrote:
> In this 1957 clip from the Nat King Cole Show, Harry Belafonte and Cole duet on "Mama Look a Bubu" - check out the brief spot after the song with Harry playing drums. He references Stan Freberg's lampoon of "Banana Boat" by quitting and telling Cole his piano playing was "too piercing." Priceless.
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3vgaCNY-aI
>
> Cary Ginell
This is wonderful -- it is great when the subject of a parody loves the
parody.  The two of then work together beautifully, playing off of each
other's expressions, and Harry was pretty good on the drums.  Of course
Harry started out imitating Cole's style -- a few of those sides ended
up on some of the cheapie LPs like Guest Star, I think.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com