[78-L] Who says some phono collectors aren't creepy?

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Dec 18 22:36:13 PST 2010

On 12/18/2010 11:52 PM, neechevoneeznayou at gmail.com wrote:
> perhaps they turn the crank backwards to avoid making noise while taking
> dialogue during a scene. Of course if they crank in CU it wouldn't
> matter, they might want the noise
>
> joe salerno

HUH?????  Except for the motorless hand-crank Berliners or tinfoil
machines, turning a crank backwards only unscrews or detaches the crank,
not cause the turntable to turn backwards.  There was no dialog in this
scene, and in making movies, if there is on-set noise they don't want
they re-record the dialog in a technique called "looping".

> On 12/18/2010 9:15 PM, Vincent Fitzpatrick wrote:
>> Why do so many gramophones in the movies turn backwards?

What examples do you have?  I'm not sure about this one because the
youtube stream was herky-jerky and there were not enough frames to
determine which way the turntable was turning, at least on my computer.

>>   And how to people
>> get 78s of recordings made in the 1960s, 70s, 80s, and 90s?

Examples???  This one starts with the sound of the music from what could
be any recording of it, and then dissolves into a modern sound of the
recording because the hi-fi sound is more dramatic and is better
understood by today's audience.  I don't think they are claiming that
the hi-fi recording is coming out of the horn, or that the 78 was a
modern recording.  This was not a modern piece of music.  It had been
recorded in the 78 era.

>> On Fri, Dec 17, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Steve Ramm<steveramm78l at hotmail.com>
>>    wrote:
>>
>>> This was shared on another newsgroup and I thought others might want to see
>>> it:
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pcfz3zt2DDo
>>>

>>> Steve
>> _____

And Steve, I never said that some phono collectors aren't creepy.  Some
are VERY creepy.  But after all, we here on the 78-L are RECORD
collectors, not PHONOGRAPH collectors!!!!!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com