[78-L] Wingy on Columbia

David Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 15 07:53:17 PST 2010

Han Enderman wrote:

Evidently Bruyninckx errs.
He gives the nr of the EP, but adds the prefix of the LP series.
It is the only Col session, thus complete on EP.

Jepsen gives B-2029 & 40301 as issues.

===
>>> Here is the session as given by Bruyninckx.
What is the title of Co CL 2029 ?

Wingy Manone (tp,vcl) Lou McGarity (tb) Hank D'Amico (cl) Charlie Queener (p) Milt Hinton (b) Cliff Leeman (d)
New York, July 26, 1954

CO51753 Oh, Capri (wm vcl) Col CL2029

Han,

Indeed, CL 2029 is Duke Ellington, "Piano in the Foreground." While I don't think I have all of the answers, it appears that Columbia A-xx refers to 10" LPs and B-xx-x to records in 7" 45 rpm sets while B-xxxx were standalone 45 rpm issues. This must have been a real headache to keep track of, as a 45 made from a 78 no matter how old took the 78 issue's number and simply added a "4-" to it, with the 78 issue retaining the whole number. For example:

Columbia 4-36096 Xavier Cugat and his Orchestra
(ZSP 6210) Yo Ta Mamora
(ZSP 6211) Anna Boroco Tinde

This is identified as a stray belonging to Columbia 45 rpm set B 65 as sides "2" and "7." The set was "Rhumba with Cugat," issued as a 78 album in 1941; 36096 was the number of the 78 within the set. "Rhumba" was also issued verbatim as a very early LP, as CL-6005, in 1948.

Uncle Dave Lewis uncledavelewis at hotmail.com