[78-L] Robert Johnson records claimed to be recorded 20% slow

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 13 16:12:30 PST 2010

Indeed, many singles were cut faster than their LP originals even in the 70s
and 80s. But rarely more than a semitone if that. As well, many Capitol 78s
from the 40s are on the fast side..a few years ago I transferred Sparky's Music
Mix-Up, and at the end of one side we hear a bit of Mendelssohn's Violin
Concerto. I had to pull it down 3% to have it in E Minor where it's supposed to
be. And then there are all those Deccas that should play at 80 because the
cutting tables in New York were off speed. The post-1943 recordings dubbed from
33RPM lacquers play correctly on LP but reissues of pre-1942 recordings are
often slow.

But TWENTY PERCENT!? Gimme a break.

dl