[78-L] Robert Johnson records claimed to be recorded 20% slow

Frank Scott scottfrank at toast2.net
Mon Dec 13 14:48:40 PST 2010

The technical explanations seem very thorough and impressive particularly to
a non musician like myself but the whole theory doesn't make sense. Johnson
was recorded on five different dates with about seven months between the
first batch of sessions and the second. Are we to believe that the recorder
was running slow at all those sessions? Or are we to suppose that they did
it deliberately to make Johnson's recordings sound more exciting?

And of course there were the people who knew Robert well like Son House,
Johnny Shines and Robert Lockwood who never claimed that the records seemed
too fast to them.

It's an intriguing idea that has been discussed at lengths on the blues
lists and the consensus amongst most of the blues scholars on those lists,
some of whom are accomplished musicians, is that the theory doesn't hold
water.

Frank