[78-L] Robert Johnson records claimed to be recorded 20% slow

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Mon Dec 13 14:48:06 PST 2010

Greetings from FixitLand!

Jeff Lichtman wrote:

> When I found the following article several weeks ago I paid it little
> attention, as it seemed like a crackpot theory. The claim is that
> Robert Johnson's records were originally recorded three semitones
> slower than how they're typically played back (i.e. people have been
> playing them back about 19% too fast). Assuming that they're usually
> played at 78.26 RPM, that would mean the proper playback speed would
> be around 65.8 RPM. ...
>
> I think the idea is nonsense. I can believe that the correct playback
> speed for Johnson's records is something other than 78.26, but I
> highly doubt that the difference is three semitones.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm with you on this; nonsense. It makes no sense to me that a
recording company would deliberately fudge up its recording equipment
for ONE artist.

Related question: RJ's records were made in San Antonio and Dallas --
were these permanent studios, or on portable gear? In either case, I
just can't buy a deliberate 20% slowdown.

Take care,

Joe
—
Poof read? Why brother?